Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I love coming up with costume ideas and putting it all together. I think I get more excited than most kids -- rightfully so since the day was so much fun. We carved our pumkin Friday night and Drew actually did most of the work. He cleaned out the pumpkin all my himself and would not let me help. He said, "carving a pumpkin is really fun." It is much more fun with kids to get excited about it. Reid was interested in what Drew was doing, but didn't try to take over so we avoided sibling rivalry for this task.
Drew showing Reid how to carve it
Halloween morning started with our first family running race with our friends, the Hottingers. It was a cold morning so we had to bundle everyone up. Drew ran the last 100 yards next to me and we crossed the finish line together. That part alone made my day.
We spent lunch time at the Garner house celebrating with the Hottingers, Loredos and Garners. The kids played, did Halloween crafts, decorated owl cupcakes and busted open a pinata -- let the junk food begin! We had a little bit of down time in the afternoon before trick or treating started. The kids woke up from the naps ready to get into costume and have some fun. Drew came up with his own costume this year, a cave scuba diver. The idea came from a part of the Planet Earth video where a scuba diver goes into the cave to see what life exists. Very interesting stuff. Reid's costume was inspired by her favorite book, The Lonely Firefly. You can't tell from the pictures, but her tutu flashed at night light a firefly. Going along with the theme of the kids, Chad was a shark victim and I was the Queen Bee. I wasn't going to dress up the big kids this year, but Drew insisted so we went along. Drew said to me after I was all dressed, "I really love your costume Mommy. You are the best bee." Drew couldn't wait for the trick or treating and quickly went from house to house to see how much candy he could get. Reid was happy with one package of M&Ms and a sucker, but tagged along with Drew at his urging. Later that night the kids stuffed themselves with candy and ran around out front with their friends. I'm actually surprised that Reid didn't end up sick from everything she ate. The second kid just doesn't get the same supervision as the first, and we were much more lenient with her intake. She was a crazed lunatic after the first few pieces and was running around roaring at everyone. It was quite entertaining. I tried to stay awake after all the festivities to watch the Texas game, but ended up asleep on the couch after about 5 minutes. What a weekend!