Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Starting School and Ending Summer

Well I am way behind on the blog updates. I think I just needed sometime to unwind after all of the craziness in July. What a whirlwind the end of summer has been for us. Before I dive in further, I have to first say "Happy Birthday" to our handsome nephew Kaiden. We hope you had a wonderful day!

Speaking of Kaiden, we spent the end of July in Tennessee celebrating Heather and Jeremy's wedding. Heather and family were wonderful hosts and we really enjoyed spending time with Chad's side of our family. Drew loved hanging out with his cousins and really hit it off with Kaiden. We had a fantastic time and miss everyone already. Here are a few pictures from our family weekend.

Reid and Great Grandma

Drew, Danielle and Madilyn

Jen, Nonna, Chad and Jeremy

Reid and Nonna

The Scurlocks and The Scurlocks

Nonna and her girls

Sweet pic of Reid and Nonna


Cousins

Sweet Maddie and Reid

Great Uncle John and Reid

Chad and the boys having fun

Danielle

Jeremy and Heather

Kaiden and Papa

Jen and Reid

Jeremy and Reid

Maddie and Jen

Brotherly fun (these 2 were hillarious on the slide together)

Maddie

Reid and Papa
August was spent winding down the summer at birthday parties and enjoying a few days of cooler weather. The kids have had fun playing with each other in the backyard, at the park, daily trips to the baseball fields, splash parks and pool. We also enjoyed a trip to the lake with the Andersons. I always love time with my best friend and her family, and Drew loves the Anderson boys.

Wes, James, Jack, Reid and Drew

Girl time


Sweet mom moment





Walking to the boat
Christine and I enjoying the tube

Fun with Drew

Drew and Chad riding the tube

Kelley and I having fun

Pizza party

Riding a pony

Ice Cream

First pony ride

Reid amazed by the animals

Splash park

Drew is still 100% obsessed with baseball and spends most of his free time throwing and hitting the ball. He likes to try and dress like a baseball player and pulls long socks up over his knees to slide. It's a riot to watch and we have had several show downs trying to get the socks off before we head out in public. I have decided now that it is easier to let him look funny with a smile on his face than argue about it. Drew is in a somewhat silly stage and will say anything for a laugh. We are not enjoying the potty talk quite as much as he is. He is for lack of a better description "all boy" these days -- jumps from furniture to furniture, running everywhere, etc. Chad asked him the other day, "do you even use the floor any more to walk on?" He likes to watch shows on the discovery channel about animals or sports. On occassion he will watch a cartoon, but for the most part he prefers live action any time the TV is on. He is still not much of a TV viewer though.

Reid is blossoming into her own little person. She is very happy, but very busy and is talking up a storm. She likes to say the phrase, "I need dis" and points to something she wants. The first time she said this she was referring to my wallet. I am hoping this is not an early glimpse into her teenage years or I am in trouble. The other day she changed the phrase a little bit and said, "I did this" pointing to a big mess she made. I couldn't help but laugh. Reid runs all around the house getting into things and climbs on anything in her way. Last week she dunked the clean folded laundry into the dog water bowl. Today she dunked a clean sock and then even grosser, sucked the water out of it. I can't take my eye off her for one second or trouble! Reid loves to climb onto the chairs and stand up. I really love this one and haven't quite figured out how to stop her. She still loves her brother and now calls him "Dee." It's hilarious when she walks around the house yelling, "Dee." She also calls for "Ya-dee" and "Da-dee." Her latest favorite word is firefly, which she says, "Ffffi -fly" I love how she puts a lot of emphasis on her F. This is from her favorite book, "The Very Lonely Firefly." She loves the end of the book where all the fireflies light up. We read this about 10 times a day. My neighbor asked her yesterday what she was going to be for Halloween and she said, "Ffffi-fly." It was pretty funny. Reid is vocal and will attempt to say almost anything you tell her. She gets so excited when I say, "you did it" after saying a word and she claps for herself. Tonight at dinner I asked if she was done and she looked at us and said, "ya" in such a big voice. We were rolling with laughter. Reid's latest phrase she is working on is "trick or treat." The benefits of this one have been explained by Drew and he is working with her to master it. Such a proud big brother. The quiet moments in our house are definitely few and far between. Reid is also very interested in dinosaurs. She loves to carry them around the house and say, "rahhh!" She actually has more interest in them than Drew ever did. In a nutshell, Reid loves climbing, talking, reading (books are her favorite of any item), shoes, dinosaurs, bikes and animals (especially small fluffy ones like cats). What a well rounded gal!

Drew's latest activity is ice skating, the beginning to playing hockey. He started a class last Saturday with one of his buddies and it was adorable (can I use that word about hockey?). All of the kids had on bike helmets and skated in circles with walkers made of PVC. Drew told Chad and I before class that he was going to be the fastest and he was really trying to lead the pack. Hmmm, where did this competitiveness come from? He had a blast with his friends, and they all did pretty well for their first lesson.

Getting ready

Skate class


The other "first" for Drew was his first day of preschool. He started this morning in a twice a week 3 year old class. They meet for 2 1/2 hours and fill the time with music, language, science etc. I was a little worried (ok, a hardly slept a wink the night before) since Drew has never been in a class setting without me there. Drew, on the other hand, was excited We were talking over breakfast this morning about school, and I told him I was sad because soon he would be in kindergarten. Drew responded with, "You can't be sad because I have to go to kindergarten so I can learn how to play professional baseball." What a riot! Drew did great in school. No tears when I left or long goodbye. He just walked off and started playing with the other kids. His only fearful time was when the kids lined up with their backpacks on at the end of class to wait in the carpool line. His teacher said there were a few tears shed as she walked him out because he didn't know where she was taking him and was scared. Guess I should have mentioned to him that they have us drive up for pick up instead of coming in. Live and learn. Reid and I enjoyed a little one on one time today at the library for story time while Drew was in school. She loved all the music and listened quietly to the story. I am excited to share more of these moments with her. We were both excited to pick Drew up though and hear about his day. In the carpool line Reid was smiling and yelling, "Dee." Drew said he had a fun time in class and sang me a couple of the songs he learned. He told me that his favorite friend was "Parker, but he didn't play that much yet because he was scared." We celebrated Drew's milestone with his favorite meal tonight, spaghetti and garlic bread, followed by baseball cupcakes. We was all grins when we toasted his accomplishment. I am so proud of him for making it through this big day. He just continues to amaze me!


Another funny Drew moment...Chad and Drew were talking in bed and Chad was telling him how he and I are married. Drew said, Uncle Jeremy and Heather got married. Then he asked Chad, "Did you have a little lamb when you were married." -- Love that one. By the way Uncle Jeremy (if you are reading this), Drew saw Mario Lopez on TV tonight and said, "that's Uncle Jeremy."

We are looking forward to the fall and the holidays -- Texas football, Halloween, and above all, cooler weather.


Drew feeding the giraffe at the zoo