Thursday, December 11, 2008

Celebrating

Where do I begin?  There has been a lot of celebrating at the Scurlock household this holiday season. Thanksgiving was shared with a visit from Nona.  We had a wonderful holiday filled with eating and more eating.  The Sunday after Thanksgiving we celebrated Reid's baptism with friends and family.  We are so lucky to be surrounded by such love and friendship.  It's remarkable!  Drew was so cute when during the baptism.  He said loud enough for the whole congregation to hear, "they put water on sissy's head."  Kids say the funniest things. Thank you to Carl and Kelley, Reid's Godparents for sharing the day.  We love you and are blessed to have you in our lives.

We spent the rest of the weekend catching up with Nona and beginning the Christmas season.  It doesn't get any better than watching Santa parachute out of an airplane.  We also picked out and decorated our tree. I love the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree.  Its one of my favorite parts of Christmas.  I'm not sure the tree will even make it to the big day since we got it so early, but I can't stand waiting. 

Last weekend we celebrated Chad's birthday and Heath and Hope's 1st anniversary.  We had so much fun catching up with great friends over plenty of good food and wine. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It really heals the soul.  We also took a trip out to the Gaylord in Grapevine to see live reindeer, the "Ice" exhibit and Santa.  Drew loved the reindeer and got to pet one.  It was pretty stinky.  Hope and I let the guys go solo into the freezing temperatures to check out the ice sculptures. It looked pretty amazing, and Drew enjoyed sliding down the ice.  We saved Santa for last.  The kids were a little apprehensive, but participated. Drew was determined to tell the big man that he wants drums for Christmas.  Sitting on Santa's lap was just part of the package.  I don't blame Drew and Reid for their fears. Santa was all business that day, but the picture is priceless.  Nothing says Christmas more than a frightened picture with Santa.  On Sunday, Drew and I baked a cake for Chad and we celebrated with family and spaghetti. It was a wonderful weekend!

All in all, the holidays are off to a good start.  As for every day life,  Reid has started eating baby food and Drew is trying to give up napping.  Everyone is growing up fast! Reid is rolling everywhere and putting everything in her mouth. She is quite the smiler and giggles a lot. Her laugh is really cute --- even to Drew enjoys her laughing.  Funny story about Drew -- today I was folding laundry and Drew was sitting on the bed chatting to me. I said a word he had never heard (I can't remember what it was) and Drew said, "mom, that's not a word." To which I replied, "you can't act smarter than me until you can tell me a word that starts with the letter A."  He looked at me puzzled and yelled, "ahhhhhhhhhh!" I started laughing immediately.  I was outsmarted by a 2 year old! 


Thanksgiving

Nona and Reid on Thanksgiving


Nona and Drew waiting for Santa to jump




Reid's Godparents, Carl and Kelley

At Reid's Baptism

Great Grandma Margaret

Drew and Cousin Ansley after the baptism


Aunt Jennifer and Reid after the baptism


Scared of Santa

In the Big Parkas

Ice Tunnel

Ice Slide

Ice Santa

Heath and Hope



Blowing out the candles