Monday, March 16, 2009

8 Months and on the Move



After a week or so of slithering on the ground like a snake, Reid is officially crawling. She is slowly mastering her skill and goes further every day. We are only on day 3 of crawling and Reid is already getting into trouble. Drew was on the move a lot when he was a baby, but wasn't too interested in getting into stuff. I have a feeling that Reid will be quite the opposite and will be into everything. Time to dust the baby gates off and put them to use. Reid also puts anything and everything in her mouth. With a toddler and 2 dogs in the house it is nearly impossible to keep the floor clean. All I can say is wish me luck!

A little more about Reid at 8 months...She is happy as can be and getting chattier every day. I would have to say that her first word was "doggie," but she has said mama, dada and sort of Ellie. We have also been teaching her baby signs and so far she has used the sign for kitty and has waived bye although she does it with both hands. Reid is a very loving baby and likes to give big open mouth smooches, think CPR. It cracks me up because she will close her eyes and go in for what I like to call her attack and slober you to death. She is becoming quite the ham and mimics a weird screaming noise that Drew taught her. It's terrible, but funny nonetheless. Other than the dogs and her big brother, Reid's other fascinations are the phone, internet modem, dog toys and the bathroom cabinet. Oh, and food of course. She is quite the eater and skipped the baby foods all together for table food. Her favorite food is grilled cheese and her preferred snack is goldfish crackers. Like I mentioned though, she puts anything in her mouth and food is no exception. We went on a family trip to Costo on Sunday and I thought she was going to claw Drew to death for the Churro we bought him. Drew was yelling "no sissy, it's mine" and she was saying "mmm, mmm" and climbing on top of him in the cart. Speaking of Drew, he can be a little rough with Reid. He likes to "pack her in the head" meaning tap her over and over in the head. Not sure where he got this from, but he does it to her whenever she wakes up or comes into the room -- pretty much all day. He yells, "Roooeeeey, I'm going to pack you!" I think getting away from it is Reid's main motivation to crawl. Drew calls Reid everything but her name, including Rouey, Ritto, and most random, humpy girl. I have no idea where he came up with the last one, but it needs to be put to rest soon. I am just telling myself that the nick names are a sign of affection. I am posting a video of Drew singing a song to Reid. It's my evidence of just how much of a stinker he is to her. I have a feeling though, that Reid is going to be tough and they will be best of friends.



Other than daily milestones we are enjoying spring weather and gearing up for summer. We are definitely in our element around here when the weather is nice. Drew laid down today under the tree in the backyard while eating a chocolate chip cookie and said, "this is nice" and it was. Chad is getting his fill of Drew these days as he has become Dad's shadow. In the evening Drew sits and stares out the front window until Chad pulls in and then runs out front to greet him. Drew follows Chad everywhere and only lets him read stories, put him to bed etc. Mom only becomes interesting when Dad leaves for work. I have to admit, it makes me a little sad to lose my preferred status, but I am enjoying a little more down time.