Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Merriest Christmas

Before it's time to say "Happy New Year," I have to put Christmas behind me. The tree is gone (thank goodness because it turned into a major fire hazard), the decorations are put away, all that is left is documenting the event --- or should I say events! What a whirlwind the week before Christmas was. It was exhausting, but exciting. The kids loved the parties and visits with family, and of course the beginning of presents.

We started out the week with a party at our good friends, the Allens. The kids decorated cookies, played and took part in a present exchange. For the adults, it was a chance to show our appreciation for friends and kick back before a week of rushing around. We can't say thanks enough for our friends this holiday season. We are blessed everyday with their company and care.



The day after the party, we packed everyone up and headed to celebrate with Grandma Margaret. We always enjoy spending time with her. The kids love showing off for their Great Grandma, and I love the hugs. Grandma Margaret is an expert at big warm hugs. We enjoyed a delicious Tex Mex dinner, visiting and of course presents. Spoiling must go hand and hand with being a grandma.

Up next, Nonna's arrival. Drew couldn't wait to see her and asked me all day if her airplane was here yet. From what I hear, Drew talked Nonna's ear off on the way home. So much to be excited about! We enjoyed a couple days of playing and relaxing together. Drew waited every morning impatiently for Nonna to wake up. She was a trooper and did a lot of playing. We actually had nice weather before Christmas Eve and got a lot of fresh air. In fact, Chad and I were in shorts and Nonna was concerned that she didn't pack any short sleeved clothes. Gotta love the unpredictable weather here.

Christmas Eve came quickly and brought the first of our white Christmas. Really, does it get any better than a white Christmas in Dallas? Even though we had to change our evening plans, it was well worth it to see all the snow falling. It was in a word, "magical!" Christmas Eve, we ate a family dinner and Drew made chocolate chip cookies for Santa with his grandmas. The rest of the evening went smoothly since Nonna helped wrap presents the night before. Chad and I headed to bead early in anticipation of an early morning.
Neither Chad nor I slept well Christmas Eve. I couldn't wait for the kids to wake up and Chad was worried Drew would wake up TOO early. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about Christmas! I was awake by 5:30 and got up to plug in the tree, get dressed and start the coffee rolling. Then I crawled back in bed and waited for Drew. He was up at 6:30 and came downstairs in a daze. I think he was shocked that Santa made it in the house without him hearing anything. He said, "Daddy, Santa came and I didn't hear any clunking." We decided to let Reid sleep in while Drew got started on a few presents. She woke up an hour later, not near as excited as her brother. Chad and I (ok, mostly me) for some reason felt we needed to make sure gifts to the kids were equal. Note to self not to do this again since Reid was completely satisfied with the package of M&Ms in her stocking.

After opening gifts, we of course headed outside for more fun in the snow. We spent all morning outside since snow doesn't make it to Dallas that often. Drew couldn't get enough of sledding (Texas style in a laundry basket), snow angels and snow balls. Reid pretty much stood in one place. I couldn't tell if she was scared of falling or didn't want to get her boots dirty. We could not have dreamed up a better holiday. The kids were spoiled by all our family, we had snow on the ground and good company. We are surely blessed by each other, our friends, family and beautiful children. I thank God for these gifts most of all.

We had a fun visit with Nonna filled with silly kids, good food and relaxation. Drew was very sad to see her leave on Monday and the kids had to go through detox after all the attention. The last picture I posted is from our dinner Sunday at Babe's Chicken. Reid was hilarious sucking on the chicken legs while dancing in her high chair to country tunes. She ate 2 legs and a wing and earned herself ta new nickname "chicken leg" given by Dad. As soon as she would finish one piece of chicken she would literally throw it aside and reach for another. Even the waitress noticed Reid's enthusiasm for the chicken, laughed and said, "are you enjoying that darlin."

We hope 2010 brings us as much laughter as 2009. It is definitely food for the soul!