Sunday, July 12, 2009

Celebrating Reid's First Birthday



Sweet birthday girl









Showing Reid a ladybug

Soccer with dad, one of her favorite activities


Megan flying like a butterfly

Reid, Drew and Hudson checking out ladybugs

Hudson and Drew hunting together


Reid and Carter


Olivia looking at a ladybug


Drew showing off his face painting, proud that he overcame his apprehension and did it


Reid getting her face painted

Ansley getting her face painted

Melanie and Preston

Harmony and Harrison

Aunt Jennifer and Ansley

Cousin Ansley

Reid's best friend, Ainsley

Marin looking beautiful

Drew's love, Megan (can you blame him?)

Drew (he insisted on a birthday hat like Reid's)

Family Pic


Proud mom

Enjoying Cake


Reid covered in ladybugs
We celebrated Reid's first birthday on Saturday. It was a fun "backyard party" with a small group of our friends, including Reid's play group buddies and other little ones that she has began budding friendships with over her first year of life. We also were blessed with a visit from Aunt Jenn, Ansley and Jenn's mom Carol who made the trek from Austin. Before I give details about her party, I have to thank all of our friends and family members who have supported us in our transition from one to two kiddos. What a whirlwind the first few months were. I can't say it was an easy adjustment, but slowly I am getting the hang of this chaos. I know, however, I could not have done it without the phone calls, dinners, laughter and love that has been sent our way. I am reminded every day of how wonderful of a neighborhood we live in by random acts of kindness flowing freely from neighbor to neighbor. It is a tremendous blessing.

On to the celebration...Reid was in a great mood for her big day and enjoyed every moment of her party, especially the cake. The theme of the party was "summer backyard fun" as in watermelon, ladybugs, andthe outdoors. We started off the party with a little face painting and the kids picked out antenna or butterfly wings to match their adorned faces. Next, we headed to the backyard for a ladybug release and hunt (I think this was the favorite part of the celebration). I took a chance and ordered by mail 1,500 ladybugs that arrived on my door step and rested in the refrigerator looking very "inactive" until Sat. morning. I wasn't convinced there would be much if any movement by these little bugs. To my surprise, however, as soon as I took them out of their bag they went crazy looking for a new home. The kids had so much fun watching the bugs crawl out onto the patio and then be dispersed into different areas of the yard. It held everyone's attention for about an hour while they searched and used tweezers to collect ladybugs into their bug boxes. It was one of those good memories that I want to hold onto. Just kids being kids. After the bug hunt we headed indoors for lunch and cake. Reid devoured her "smash" cake, which was not surprising at all. Reid really "got into the ladybugs" after the party and dumped a hundred or so out of Drew's bug net and onto her dress -- definitely a girl with a older brother. It was a special day for all the Scurlocks, including big brother Drew who was really more excited than the birthday girl herself.



Here are also a few photos from Reid's actual birthday. We shared the morning with her best friends, Ainsley and Gage and her godmother Kelly at the mall play area, followed by lunch and cupcakes. Reid went to town on the hot pink icing, most of which ended up all over her and not in her mouth. I haven't decided if the sugar high I missed out on would have been worse than the mess I had to clean. By the way, hot pink was not my first choice but it was all Kroger had at 9 am that morning.


Silly Ainsley


Ainsley and Gage







Sweet Ainsley