Tuesday, August 31, 2010

All By Myself

Well, I have to give myself a pat on the back because "I made it!" I survived over 4 years of being home ever day without a moment to myself raising my sweet kids. Today, they both started preschool, and for the first time well in over 4 years I had 5 hours to myself. It was a good morning for the kids. Drew and Reid did great. Reid was excited and did not shed one tear when I left her classroom. She was so excited to go to her room like Drew and be a "big girl." Kind of tough for me though. I'm not quite ready for everyone to grow up, but some time to myself is nice. Drew's teacher is AMAZING! She has been teaching for 25 years and was a kindergarten teacher for half of that before she had her own kids. In fact, she has her Masters in education, which made me smile for Drew because I know she has a lot to offer her students. Drew's teacher told me, "Drew was an angel today and even helped pick up and push in the other kid's chairs". She actually also called me tonight to tell me that he is a great kid and she is so excited to have him in her class. How nice is that? Reid had a good day too! She did cry a little during transitions (leaving for music class, the playground etc.), but the teachers told me she was fine once they got settled in the new spot. They also told me that this is pretty common with the kids her age, but overall she did great. When I got to the class to pick her up, she was folding up a blanket for the little boy sleeping next to her. Her teachers told me she had been helping them clean up. Such helpful little ones! I was pretty shocked that Reid was still in her dress when I got there. I thought for sure she would have talked her teachers into changing her clothes since lately she has refused all dresses. Reid told me in the car that she likes school and wants to go again. I am posting a few pics. They are all pretty bad because my kids were not in the mood for pics and we were in a hurry. I am also including a pic of Reid's friend Lucy that I am so glad is in her class. (Ignore her mouth full of cracker -- I was in a hurry to leave since Reid was settled) They play together all the time so its great for Reid to see a familiar face. Look how precious they both are in their school dresses!

Getting ready to leave
Drew and his teacher
Sitting in the classroom
Reid's class
This is the "why is he crying" face.
Refusing to look at me for a picture
Reid's sweet friend Lucy

While the kids were busy learning I had a photo shoot, got in a trip to the store, cooked dinner and went for a run! Drew asked when he came home "why the house was so clean." Too funny! I am feeling a little sad that the kids are growing up so fast, but all in all the day was successful.