We signed Drew up for Karate today, well really Drew had to sign himself up by passing the test to earn his white belt. I have to brag for Drew a little bit. I was so proud to see him excel in a pretty intimidating situation for a a little guy. His instructor walked him through some basic karate skills (punches, kicks, karate bow etc.) and then gave him his test. Drew had to be able to perform all the skills, show that he had concentration, and demonstrate respect by answering with "yes sir." For his concentration test the instruction asked him to stand on a line and stare at spot on the wall for 5 seconds, an eternity for a toddler. He did a pretty good job and passed the test (although we have to work on the "yes sir" to replace "yeah") so the instructor invited Drew to join the class. Drew was beaming when he got to put on his uniform and have his picture taken. I hope that karate helps Drew develop confidence and respect in his early years that will guide him through his path of becoming a good man like his dad. If nothing more, it's worth the effort to see him looking so cute in his uniform and saying "ya!" We were talking tonight after dinner about earning his belts and the colors. He said, "I just want the blue one and the green one because I like those colors." I love these reminders in the midst of such a big boy day for Drew that he is still so little. Drew's first "Little Dragon" class is Saturday morning. I will definitely post a follow up video.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Karate Kid
We signed Drew up for Karate today, well really Drew had to sign himself up by passing the test to earn his white belt. I have to brag for Drew a little bit. I was so proud to see him excel in a pretty intimidating situation for a a little guy. His instructor walked him through some basic karate skills (punches, kicks, karate bow etc.) and then gave him his test. Drew had to be able to perform all the skills, show that he had concentration, and demonstrate respect by answering with "yes sir." For his concentration test the instruction asked him to stand on a line and stare at spot on the wall for 5 seconds, an eternity for a toddler. He did a pretty good job and passed the test (although we have to work on the "yes sir" to replace "yeah") so the instructor invited Drew to join the class. Drew was beaming when he got to put on his uniform and have his picture taken. I hope that karate helps Drew develop confidence and respect in his early years that will guide him through his path of becoming a good man like his dad. If nothing more, it's worth the effort to see him looking so cute in his uniform and saying "ya!" We were talking tonight after dinner about earning his belts and the colors. He said, "I just want the blue one and the green one because I like those colors." I love these reminders in the midst of such a big boy day for Drew that he is still so little. Drew's first "Little Dragon" class is Saturday morning. I will definitely post a follow up video.